A quick meal made with what’s in the pantry.
Chickpea Curry with Rice
Makes: 4–6 servings
Time: 35 Minutes
- 2 cups basmati rice or whatever is on hand
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, or garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 13 ½-oz can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- Naan bread, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the chopped onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are dark brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and stir to scrape up all the brown bits in the pan.
- Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, honey, and a squirt of sriracha.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Warm the naan or other bread in the microwave. Serve the curry over the rice with the warmed naan.
- Garnish with the cilantro.